As much as we might’ve hoped otherwise, 2020 was a difficult year for many in the face of the global pandemic. It’s safe to say that many of us are ready to welcome in the New Year. Pantone noticed the anxiety, frustration, and helplessness that so many have experienced in this unprecedented year and has now offered not one but two colors to help us usher in a new (and hopefully brighter) year. This ground-breaking selection might be just what you need to help put a pep back into your step or create a cheerful space in your home. Introducing Pantone’s Colors of the Year for 2021: Ultimate Gray and Illuminating!
The Psychology Behind the Duality
We know at first glance that gray doesn’t sound terribly exciting (in fact, this is the very first time that any hue of gray was chosen as a Color of the Year!). Ultimate Gray (17-5104), however, is definitely not as bleak as it appears – quite the opposite. It’s a warm gray that conveys a sense of grounding, practicality, dependability, and sagacity. Its jovial counterpart, the sunny-yellow Illuminating (13-0647), is uplifting and infused with joy; it’s virtually impossible to see this color and not smile! It’s only the second time in 22 years that yellow was chosen as a Color of the Year – the last time was in 2009 following the Great Recession that rocked the Americas and Europe.
Pantone’s intention behind selecting these two very different colors as their choice is immersed in resilience and hope. By combining two colors into a unified pair, Pantone is expressing that there is unity and solidarity in coming together as one – a message that our tired country yearns for. Additionally, these colors can offer a soothing and uplifting feeling that so many crave in the face of this long-lasting pandemic. In their own words, “It’s a combination that speaks to the resilience, the optimism and hope, and positivity that we need, as we reset, renew, reimagine, and reinvent.”
Ways to Welcome Illuminating and Ultimate Gray in Your Home
If you want to find a sense of joy and security in your own home, there are plenty of easy ways you can incorporate these two colors in nearly every room! Here are a few of our favorite quick tips:
- Add a quick splash of happiness by painting an accent wall in the sunny Illuminating. We love the idea of inviting the color into your home office to motivate you while you continue working from home!
- Looking for a chic yet versatile piece of furniture? Choose or reupholster a chair, couch, or love seat in warm Ultimate Gray. Add a finishing touch with yellow pillows or throws!
- Pops of happiness are always welcome in accent pieces! Invest in a few accent pieces in Illuminating to bring joy in your daily life.
- If it’s time to update your bedding, choose a quilt or bedspread in cheerful Illuminating with Ultimate Gray sheets.
- Make a bold statement and invite positivity into your life by painting your front door in Illuminating yellow!
Find a Home That Makes You Happy We are optimistic in looking forward to sunnier days ahead in the upcoming year. If you’ve been wishing for a home that makes you feel happy and comfortable, trust the experts at The Massey Team at Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Elite Properties! Call us at (618) 791-5024 or (618) 791-9298 to get started!