There are so many questions we are seeking answers to right now, especially for those who are looking to enter the housing market. Many of our buyers and sellers have concerns and questions regarding the coronavirus (COVID-19) and how it might affect their plans. Here are some of the most frequently asked questions that we have been receiving lately:
Are open houses still being hosted?
Unfortunately, as of April 1, no open houses are allowed in the state of Illinois in accordance with orders from the Department of Commerce and Economic Opportunity (DCEO).
What about showings? Are there any alternatives?
We are still doing showings; however, we are more than happy to conduct virtual showings for our available listings! Keep in touch with us, and we will guide you down the best, safest path toward achieving your goals during these trying times.
What should I know about the housing market in the Metro East and Greater St. Louis regions right now?
Currently, the housing market has slowed down due to the coronavirus. This isn’t surprising with several states being under a Stay at Home order, including Illinois and Missouri. Even so, there are still consumers buying and selling homes, especially anyone who might be relocating for their jobs.
What measures have you put in place for everyone’s safety?
Everyone’s health and well-being is our absolute top priority, so we’ve taken quite a few extra precautions to help everyone remain safe.
If you’re a buyer, please keep these new precautions in mind:
- Allow no more than 4 people at a showing – this includes the realtors and buyers only. We love children, but only adults purchasing the home should be in attendance to keep families of all types safe.
- Please refrain from touching things unnecessarily within the house.
- Don’t turn off any lights – we will handle them for you!
- Remove shoes or use the provided shoe covers during showings.
- Please be courteous and ensure that your hands are clean before entering the home. You may also use the provided hand sanitizer upon entering the home!
- If you or someone you know is or has been sick recently, please do not attend the showing.
If you’re selling your home, we ask that you follow these extra steps to stay safe:
- Please provide hand sanitizer upon entrance for any buyer who may wish to use it.
- Please provide shoe covers for buyers to wear and discard after each use.
- Please use disinfectant wipes on all door handles, light switches, countertops, and other frequently used surfaces before and after all showings.
- If you or someone you know is or has been sick, please do not allow showings.
What steps can I take now?
It’s understandable to feel worried and unsure of what you should do if you’re thinking about entering the housing market at any point in the near future. If you can, take this time now to prepare your home as much as you can to sell when conditions improve. Give your house a good scrub-down, eliminate clutter, organize your space, and consider painting any tired walls you may have. Doing so won’t just be good for your house – it will also help you stay active and busy.
This is an unprecedented time for us all, but remember: we are in this together, and we will all get through this stronger than ever! Should you have any questions or concerns, don’t hesitate to reach out to The Massey Team at Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Elite Properties at (618) 791-5024 or (618) 791-9298. We are here for you and are ready to assist you while keeping your safety at the forefront of our minds!