You’ve probably heard it said, “You’ll never get a second chance to make a first impression.” This is most apparent when someone steps into your home for the first time. The foyer, or entryway, of your home says more about you and your personality than you may realize.
A glance at your foyer will give your guests an idea of what to expect throughout the rest of your home. Is it artistic, playful, hauntingly dark, or bright and cheerful? What’s your style? This tiny area can speak volumes about you since the foyer is the bridge from your public life leading directly into your private domain.
This unique space is the initial introduction to your home, but is often an overlooked space when decorating. To the guest it should say, “You are welcome here. We’re glad to see you,” and the message that everyone receives should be, “There’s no place like home, specifically this home.”
Here are a 10 ways you can create a welcoming foyer regardless of the size of the entryway you’re working with.
· Ensure that the door can open fully.
· Place a floor runner at the entrance into your house. This will direct the guest into the house.
· Hang some of your favorite artwork.
· Paint the walls interesting color combinations.
· Hang groupings of photographs to help direct the eye into the house.
· Make sure the space has ample lighting.
· Place an unusual item on display as a great conversation starter.
· Display a flower arrangement or plant to make the space seem alive and welcoming.
· If there is enough space, a signature piece of furniture, chair and table with a lamp, or other decorative piece, can fill in an alcove beneath a staircase.
· Place a decorative mirror in the foyer space to give the illusion of a larger area. Plus, people love to see themselves in a mirror!
When decorating your foyer, imagine yourself as a guest walking in for the first time. How do you feel in the space? Are you intrigued and want to step further into the home? That is how the foyer should make you feel. Create a welcoming space that reflects who you are and makes your guests happy to be there. Additionally, a great foyer should make you happy to be home.
If you’re ready to start looking for a new home or ready to sell your home, give us a call at 618-791-5024 or 618-791-9298 or visit us online at www.dianamasseyhomes.com We’ll help you find a home that will reflect your personality perfectly!